Freedom for All Massachusetts is hiring a Field Organizer to lead our efforts to uphold Massachusetts’ transgender non-discrimination protections at the ballot box in 2018. See the full job description below:
Freedom for All Massachusetts, the campaign to increase public support for transgender equality in Massachusetts, has an immediate opening for a full time Field Organizer. This position will be part of an extensive effort to educate the Massachusetts community about transgender people and their experience with discrimination, to increase public support for fair treatment of the Commonwealth’s transgender residents, and to protect the Commonwealth’s transgender nondiscrimination protections law at the ballot in 2018.
In 2016, a bipartisan coalition of Massachusetts lawmakers stood alongside over 250 of the Commonwealth’s employers, 350+ faith leaders, top educational institutions, 11 labor unions representing one million families, all of New England’s major sports teams, 16 women’s anti-violence organizations, dozens of law enforcement officials and mayors, the entire congressional delegation and more to pass legislation updating the Commonwealth’s nondiscrimination laws to include protections for transgender people in public spaces like restaurants, hotels and hospitals. An Act Relative to Transgender Anti-Discrimination added “gender identity” to existing Massachusetts civil rights law for public accommodations, which currently prohibits discrimination on several other bases including age, race, national origin, sexual orientation, sex, religion and marital status.
Following the passage of the bill, anti-transgender activists secured the low threshold of signatures needed – fewer than one percent of the state population – to try to take these protections away on the statewide November 2018 ballot.
Having successfully organized the effort to secure the update to Massachusetts’ nondiscrimination laws, Freedom for All Massachusetts will now lead a broad based coalition of stakeholders committed to educating the public about transgender people, increasing public support for their fair treatment, and defending nondiscrimination protections at the ballot.
The Field Organizer will be responsible for recruiting, training and managing a statewide volunteer effort to increase support for nondiscrimination. This includes:
- Building a network of volunteer regional and statewide leaders, including identifying volunteers who will serve as trainers, spokespeople and managers of localized efforts.
- Engaging the public in conversations about transgender people and their experiences with discrimination, and building the lists of both grassroots and grasstops supporters of fair treatment for all.
- Organizing regular volunteer events in Boston and other key areas, including phonebanks, data entry systems and recruitment actions.
- Other tasks to support the public education campaign as necessary, such as supporting colleagues to achieve successful earned media events, participating in fundraising efforts and managing participation in events such as pride and campus diversity events.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A proven commitment to LGBT equality, including a specific understanding of the nondiscrimination issue landscape and of the transgender community and its experience with discrimination.
- A minimum of two years experience working on public education, advocacy or electoral campaigns.
- Experience recruiting, training, and motivating volunteers to meet goals and moving volunteers into leadership positions.
- Experience working within voter databases such as VAN.
- Experience providing detailed regular reporting and tracking of progress.
- Experience working with a diverse team of volunteers and success building a welcoming environment for all potential supporters to participate.
- Experience incorporating grassroots fundraising into field efforts (preferred).
- A can-do attitude.
- Ability to work independently and meet goals and deadlines.
- Willingness to work flexible hours and meet a demanding campaign schedule.
- Transportation and willingness to travel throughout the state.
Position open until filled.
To apply, complete our online application form, including uploading your resume and cover letter. Interviews will be on a rolling basis. The position will remain open until filled. No calls please.