Freedom Massachusetts is a campaign working to pass a law that would protect transgender people from discrimination in public spaces in the Bay State. Currently, Massachusetts law does not clearly protect trans people in restaurants, stores, public transit, or even hospitals; anywhere public life is conducted outside of home, work or school.
We are a bipartisan coalition consisting of dozens of organizations including the Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition, MassEquality, the American Civil Liberties Union, Freedom for All Americans, Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders, the Massachusetts Gay and Lesbian Political Caucus, BAGLY, the Massachusetts Commission on LGBTQ Youth, the Anti-Defamation League, Greater Boston PFLAG, and the Human Rights Campaign.
This short term internship, concluding mid-November 2015, is a great opportunity for high school students, college students looking to earn credit, recent graduates, or anyone looking to learn new skills and build their resume. You do not need to be enrolled in school to intern with Freedom Massachusetts.
Our campaign emphasizes inclusivity, diversity, leadership development. This not a typical “grunt work” internship. Interns are highly valued members of the team, working closely with the Field Director to engage voters across the state in support of our bill. The Field Director will work with you to tailor an internship plan specific to your interests and schedule. This is a great opportunity if you’re interested in grassroots activism, political campaigning, you want to develop leadership skills, and/or you care deeply about transgender rights.
- Build and maintain relationships with volunteers and supporters
- Recruit new volunteers
- Train volunteers
- Coach volunteers to further develop skills
- Identify and manage volunteer leaders
- Help facilitate a Lobby Day on September 17
- Represent Freedom Massachusetts at the statehouse
- Strong interest and excitement in transgender rights
- Willingness to work some evening hours
- Willingness to travel in and around Boston for events
- Requires minimum of 10 hour per week commitment, maximum of 20
If you are interested or would like to learn more, please email Katie Guare at [email protected].